Avoid potential slips by reading through some of the guidelines while creating a CBD Marketing strategy.
Since the US Farm Bill 2018 was passed and industrial hemp became legal, demand for effective CBD marketing has increased. CBD is catching the attention of a diverse group of consumers – including pets. It has gone mainstream in the United States, with the market expected to reach over $23 billion in 2023.
Marketing CBD products are regulated in the CBD industry, so advertisers need to be extra careful to avoid confusion when they advertise CBD products. If you wonder how to market CBD products effectively and legally, you will need an effective strategy. Thus, this article will help you to understand how to comply with federal or state laws behind marketing CBD oil.
What is CBD?
CBD or cannabidiol is the second most prevalent active ingredient in cannabis or marijuana. Derived from the hemp plant, a cousin of marijuana, Cannabidiol is an essential component of medical marijuana.
In a report provided by the World Health Organization, CBD does not show any abuse or dependence potential in humans.
Is CBD Legal?
CBD is everywhere.
It has been said that all 50 states have laws legalizing CBD with varying degrees of restriction. Since the Farm Bill 2018 enacted the legality of hemp, it was impossible to keep CBD illegal.
In some states like Oklahoma, CBD oil and products are legal if approved by the FDA and have less than 0.3% THC.
THC is short is referred to as “tetrahydrocannabinol.” Like CBD, it is another ingredient found in the cannabis plant, but unlike CBD, THC is not accepted, and legal use of THC varies from state to state. Marketing CBD products can be even more complicated, considering that many people are still not well-informed about the differences between CBD and marijuana.
Much like any other business, developing a marketing strategy is essential to the business’ success. It has now become prevalent. Unfortunately, advertising and CBD marketing are a tad compromised. This is due to the policies that contain strict rules in various states in the US. Many of the big digital advertising players, search engines like Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc., adapt to these ever-adjusting legalizations.
Two major universal rules are:
- Strict targeting of the correct market demographics – only 21-year-olds and above.
- It prevents any false information from being shared. This makes CBD marketing collaterals challenging to check, Thus, strict regulations are enforced, making it challenging to publish many of them.
Social Media Advertising Do’s and Dont’s
Social networking sites like Facebook and Instagram seem like ideal platforms for CBD campaigns. But, their ad policies make it virtually impossible to have paid ad presence. Although it is not explicitly mentioned, many sources say that users are not allowed to post ads mentioning CBD or edible hemp. Paid product advertisements that mention those names are also not allowed. The worst part, some are most likely declined for publishing.
If you still want to be visible on these social media or print platforms, here are some suggestions that you can take note of while preventing your ads from being disapproved or your account shut down.
- Most important is to observe the age restriction policy on your platform. Add an age-gate to your landing page or website where CBD products are sold in compliance with this rule.
- Consider affiliate marketing or influencer marketing strategy. This is a great tool to have a more compelling brand identity.
- Develop a solid organic social media content plan. Posts about Hemp or CBD are excellent as long as they are not paid ads.
- CTA’s like “Buy Now” are frowned upon in display ads, so instead, choose an alternative like “Learn More.”
- Do not feature any lifestyle images that portray people enjoying the products. This will be deemed encouraging or influencing a type of conduct that may or may not be acceptable to the general public.
- Promotional rates like discounts, sales, etc., cannot be mentioned anywhere about the product.
- It is prohibited to advertise CBD products concerning health or wellness benefits. For example, ads saying to take CBD for pain relief would be strictly prohibited.
Challenges like the lack of information, not being able to target the right audience, creating a branding according to your vision can be even more troubling with the conflicting and confusing laws.
These tips are just a few of the many cannabis social media marketing techniques that we can use as guidelines when starting a business online.
Take your business to the next level!
QRx Dispensary Solutions is one of the best cannabis digital marketing agencies. It helps cannabis dispensary owners build a website that sells from implementing dispensary design standards to helping you gain a tremendous return on investments. We help businesses elevate their online presence by providing an easy-to-use website and online shop builder.
Connect with us today to further learn how we can provide solutions to move your business forward.